In this episode, I speak with Teodrose Fikre - journalist, editor, and founder of the Ghion Journal. In his exploratory writings on current events, Teodrose wades through the divisive discourse prevalent in the US media more broadly, and points to underlying trends that run beneath the mainstream discourse. Teodrose writes about these subjects with the intention to elevate the political discourse above the often regressive and divisive labeling and accusatory language used to divide and distract the population away from the underlying root problems in the socio-economic system we exist within presently.
Teodrose discusses a two year period in his life where he went "from a life of upper-middle class privilege to a time spent with the huddled masses" that "taught Teodrose a valuable lesson in the essence of togetherness and the need to speak against injustice."* Teodrose examines how this period of struggle ultimately informed the work he does today with the Ghion Journal, and how alternative media more broadly can provide the space necessary to engage in forms of discourse that elevate the political conversation above the regressive categories and labels that inevitably distract us away from examining more deeply the underlying trends in our society and culture today.
- Read Teodrose's writings and keep up to date with the Ghion Journal at the website: https://ghionjournal.com
- Follow the Ghion Journal on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GhionJournal
- Follow the Ghion Journal on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GhionJournal
- Follow Teodrose on Twitter: https://twitter.com/teodrosefikre
- The song featured in this episode is "Shine a Light (feat. Thaddillac)" by Shabazz Palaces from the album Quazarz: Born on a Gangster Star