In this episode I speak with ecologist and evolutionary biologist Chris Thomas — author of ‘Inheritors of the Earth: How Nature Is Thriving in an Age of Extinction.’
In this discussion, Chris lays out his understanding of whether we have truly entered into the “Sixth Mass Extinction Event,” and provides his views on whether the current rate of species extinction on this planet lives up to that dire description. Chris also discusses the difficult challenges ecologists and conservationists are currently facing in the effort to preserve species in a radically changing world, and lays out the choices that lay before us when it comes to the difficult task of conserving biodiversity and preventing species loss in the face of anthropogenic climate change and other human-caused crises. We also discuss his view of whether abrupt changes in the global climate system will lead to severe loss of life on this planet, in particular human life — or whether many of the fears regarding this subject are overblown, but rooted in legitimate understandings of where these changes can ultimately lead. Chris invites us to look at species loss with a longer view, and understand these trends within perspective of millions of years of biological evolution and ecological change on this planet.
Chris Thomas is an ecologist and evolutionary biologist, interested in the dynamics of biological change in the Anthropocene. He works on the responses of species to climate change, habitat fragmentation, and biological invasions. He is interested in developing conservation strategies appropriate for a period of rapid environmental change. His research has concentrated on insects and insect-plant interactions, but he is interested in a wide range of taxonomic groups, especially butterflies, birds and plants. In addition to his scientific publications, Chris has been a co-editor of nine scientific journals and is the author of ‘Inheritors of the Earth: How Nature Is Thriving in an Age of Extinction.’☼
☼ Source: http://bit.ly/ThomasBio
- Learn more about and purchase ‘Inheritors of the Earth: How Nature Is Thriving in an Age of Extinction’ here: http://bit.ly/InheritorsBook
- Learn more about Chris and his research here: http://bit.ly/ThomasBio
- Follow Chris on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Prof_CThomas
- At the end of this episode, Chris recommended the book ‘The Sixth Mass Extinction: An Unnatural History’ by Elizabeth Kolbert. Learn more and purchase here: http://bit.ly/6thextinctionbook
- The songs featured in this episode are “Bloom” and “Neon” by Zomby from the album Let’s Jam!!