In this episode, I speak with Lee Camp — stand up comedian, political commentator, and the head writer and host of the national TV show Redacted Tonight on RT America. We discuss his recently released comedy special ‘Super Patriotic Very Uncle Sam Comedy Special Not Allowed On American TV’ — his first comedy special in over four years. We discuss such topics as the value of voting under a corporate oligarchy, our “inverted moral universe,” and the far-reaching implications of the recently revealed sealed indictment against WikiLeaks editor Julian Assange by the United States Justice Department under the Trump Administration — in particular the threat this case poses for the freedom of press under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
In Lee’s newest comedy special, no stone is left unturned. Covering a wide, but ultimately connected, series of subjects, Lee digs deeply into our contemporary political, environmental, and cultural predicament, uncovering the root of our “inverted moral universe” with the skill of a veteran comedian and political commentator. In this discussion, we get into Lee’s process in crafting comedy, his ability to deliver sobering truths about the state of things in 2018 America, all while empowering his audience to recognize the collective power we have in the face of the bleak reality we find ourselves in. Considering how much is at stake, what role can comedy play in disseminating truths (cutting through the bullshit narratives promulgated by the corporate press) while empowering individual and collective action in the face of seemingly hopeless conditions? We discuss this and more in this episode.
Lee Camp is the head writer and host of the national TV show ‘Redacted Tonight with Lee Camp’ on RT America. He’s a former contributor to The Onion, former staff humor writer for the Huffington Post, and his web series ‘Moment of Clarity’ has been viewed by millions. He’s toured the country and the world with his fierce brand of standup comedy, and George Carlin’s daughter Kelly said he’s one of the few comics keeping her father’s torch lit. Bill Hicks’s brother Steve said Lee is one of only a handful with Bill’s “message and passion.”✧
- Watch Lee’s new comedy special ‘Super Patriotic Very Uncle Sam Comedy Special Not Allowed On American TV’ and use the code “UNCLE SAM” to get a discount: https://www.leecampcomedyspecial.com
- Learn more about Lee and his work at his website: https://leecamp.com
- Watch ‘Redacted Tonight’ on RT and on the YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/RedTonight
- ‘Redacted Tonight’ goes on tour. Learn more here: https://leecamp.com/schedule
- Follow Lee on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeeCampComedian
- Follow Lee on Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeeCamp
- The songs featured in this episode are “1 Night” and “Zoro” by Lord Raja from the Zoro EP.