In this episode, I talk with Franklin Lopez, also known as the Stimulator, host of the SubMedia program "Here's The Fuckin' News," and former host of "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)."
In this conversation, Franklin discusses the aims of the SubMedia media collective, as well as Franklin's iconic role as the shit-talking riot-loving anti-authoritarian character the Stimulator (currently the host of SubMedia's "Here's The Fucking News"). Franklin also gets into the humble role filmmakers and content generators have in collective organizing and coordinating direct action, as well as the catch-22 of using social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the like to promote independent media and news - while simultaneously trying to build decentralized forms of online organizing and social media outside of centralized corporate media platforms.
"subMedia is a video production ensemble, which aims to promote anarchist and anti-capitalist ideas, and aid social struggles through the dissemination of radical films and videos. Founded in 1994, subMedia has produced hundreds of videos on everything from anti-globalization protests to films about shoplifting." Source: https://sub.media/about
- Keep up to date with SubMedia's "Here's The Fuckin' News" as well as their other excellent programs at their website: https://sub.media
- Follow SubMedia on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/subMedia
- Follow the Stimulator on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thestimulator
- Follow Franklin Lopez on Twitter: https://twitter.com/franklin__lopez
- SubMedia on Twitter: https://twitter.com/submedia
- SubMedia on Mastadon: https://mastodon.social/@submedia
- The Stimulator on Youtube: https://bit.ly/2GXo4gC
- This episode features the song "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M. from the album Document.
- The end of this episode features audio from "TFN #10: 100 Nazi Scalps" published by SubMedia. Source: https://youtu.be/bsqqY3da1TY