Ian MacKenzie is an award-winning filmmaker and media activist, and co-director of the film "Amplify Her," a documentary that follows the powerful and emerging female producers in the electronic music scene.
For most of my life, I've contemplated the roles that were bestowed upon us as individuals, as brothers and sisters, as men and as women, as sons and daughters, and collectively as a species on this planet. I wanted to explore the questions surrounding masculinity, while recognizing that the territory surrounding gender and more specifically gender identity requires a nuanced approach, and I wanted to tread lightly and purposefully when discussing this subject.
I sought out Ian MacKenzie to have this conversation with me because I had become familiar with his work regarding gender and the sacred roles of men and women can embody, and I have come to recognize that the work he is doing is entirely necessary in this time of great calamity and confusion. More than ever, people are discussing gender identity and gender roles, sexuality and relationships, and what this all means for us as individuals and as a society. I felt ready to have this discussion, and Ian was gracious enough to accept my invitation and hash out these ideas with me, and I thank him for that.
- Find out everything you need to know about Ian and his work at: www.ianmack.com
- Learn more about Ian's new film "Amplify Her" at the film's website: https://amplifyher.com
- Read Ian's regularly updated articles on his Medium page: https://medium.com/@ianmack
- Follow Ian on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ianmackenz
- Follow Ian on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ianmack
- This episode features the tracks "Worth It" and "Kali Yuga" by Clams Casino from "Instrumental Mixtape 4 Sampler"