Professor Guy McPherson returns to the podcast to discuss abrupt climate change, the systems that govern human behavior, the collapse of industrial civilization, and why “this is probably it” for the human species.
In this conversation, we discuss the “Blue Ocean Event,” an event that entails an acceleration of irreversible changes in our global climate system. When the “Blue Ocean Event” occurs (possibly as soon as this year) as a result of global warming, the Arctic region will have little-to-no ice cover, and as a result, the Arctic Ocean will begin to absorb substantially more heat from the sun, vastly accelerating the rate of warming in the Arctic region, and consequently for the global climate system as a whole. An ice-free Arctic will generate conditions that extend far beyond industrial civilization’s ability to adapt, and will likely lead to the economic and social collapse of our civilization.
We then explore what humanity should expect to occur after the collapse of industrial civilization. Collapse will lead to a severe reduction of fossil fuel consumption, and as a result, to the immediate diminishment of the “Global Dimming” effect, in which particulates flung into the Earth’s atmosphere from decades of fossil fuel use will begin to settle, resulting in an abrupt rise in global average temperature, likely leading to the near-term extinction of the human species and the mass death of countless other living beings on this planet.
We discuss these concepts, as well as the nature of our economic and social systems, human nature, living without leaders, and what it means to live in a time of radical and accelerating change.
Guy McPherson is a public speaker, researcher, author, and professor emeritus of natural resources and ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Arizona.
- The introduction features audio from my recently released TEDx talk “Forging Connections In Perilous Times.” Watch the talk here: https://youtu.be/nLxrd7_ga60
- Keep up to date with Guy McPherson and his work at his website: https://guymcpherson.com
- Subscribe to Guy’s YouTube channel “Nature Bats Last” here: bit.ly/naturebatslast
- Follow Guy on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Guy_McPherson
- The song featured in this episode is “The End of the World” by Patti Smith from the film mother! Source: https://youtu.be/euym9xVlR5E