In this episode, I speak with Max Dashu, founder of the Suppressed Histories Archive, and author of 'Witches and Pagans: Women in European Folk Religion, 700 - 1100.'
Through a lifetime of research and documentation, Max elaborates on what can be understood about ancient mother-right cultures, what we can possibly understand about the worldview these ancient peoples may have held, as well as the important and necessary roles women fulfilled in these ancient societies. Max also expounds on the kinds of knowledge and traditions of wisdom (passed on through women) that have been suppressed and largely lost in our collective transition to modernity. By developing an understanding of the forms of knowledge and wisdom that have been lost in the long-unfolding suppression of ancient traditions (which have in large part have been carried by women in mother-right cultures) what can we can ultimately understand about our modern mode of existence on this planet?
In this interview, Max draws on a lifetime of historical research - of documenting and interpreting the art and artifacts of ancient cultures from around the world. Max Dashu is the founder of the Suppressed Histories Archive, a project she founded in 1970 to research and document women's history from an international perspective. Max is the author of ‘Witches and Pagans: Women In European Folk Religion, 700 - 1100,’ one volume in an ongoing series to uncover and document the forgotten roles of women in ancient human cultures from around the world.
- Find everything you need to know about Max's work at the Suppressed Histories Archive website: http://www.suppressedhistories.net
- Learn more about Max's book 'Witches and Pagans: Women in European Folk Religion, 700 - 1100' here: http://www.veleda.net
- Purchase the book: https://bit.ly/2HJs8oU
- Follow updates on the Suppressed Histories Archive on Facebook: https://bit.ly/2K20X7j
- Follow updates on Max's work on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaxDashu
- Follow updates on 'Witches and Pagans' on Facebook: https://bit.ly/2K20X7j
- The song featured in this episode is "Northwest Tribal Drums" from the album Drums of the World: African, Samba, Taiko, Chinese and Middle Eastern Music.